- Full time
The Project Oceanographer will support the MetOcean manager to grow the business and deliver on client contract requirements. Principal activities will include full project cycle from project preparation, mobilisation, fieldwork, demobilisation reporting and closure. He/She will provide metocean planning and engineering advice in multiple specialised technical disciplines and develops solutions to clients by putting acquired metocean data into context.
- Have knowledge and practical experience of equipment – uses and limitations etc. in support of project and commercial endeavors (e.g. small boat operation, metocean buoys, data handling and management, deployment and recovery of equipment).
- Adhere to processes and procedures for effective identification and control of environmental risks, such as Project Environment Strategy, Philosophies, Management Plan, Waste Minimization and Management Plans, Emission Inventory etc.
- Full competence in Fugro Project Management handbook and its application
- Full understanding of company financial procedures especially with respect to project cost control
- Act as a point of contact and maintain a proactive approach with clients, regulators and other external agents.
- Ability to write accurate technical reports and represent Fugro at meetings.
- Undertake and coordinate oceanographic studies and help prepare reports.
- Ability to use Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software packages (e.g. ArcView)
- Able to service and use standard metocean measuring instruments
- Technical expertise in one or more fields (rig based, shallow water moorings, deepwater moorings)
- Experienced in all metocean measurement methods, including new or non-standard methodology
- Provide guidance on limitations of data sources and/or measurement techniques
- Able to inspect all offshore data types
- Detailed understanding of regional metocean processes
- Extensive Experience with real time data systems, data download etc.
- Continued development of knowledge of future and current technology – Application and limitations etc.
- Correct use of admin systems e.g. deployment forms, logging equipment in/out of storage.
Oceanographic Project Management
- Capability to be Project Manager for medium to large projects
- Manage project team with appropriate expertise
- Demonstrate leadership role in all HSE matters
- Plan and manage work schedule of project team
- Purchase third-party services
- Ensure record keeping is fully complied with
- Full understanding and control of all aspects of project finances
- Develop relationship with client and respond to client queries. Attend client meetings
- Provide onshore technical input to offshore operations
Commercial & Proposal writing
- Demonstrate knowledge of marketing and business development.
- Track record of writing commercial proposals and securing new work.
- Demonstrate knowledge of client requirements.
- Financial acumen to cost services and deliverables.
- Acquiring, analysing and interpreting metocean related data in order to provide accurate and customised data deliverables to clients Correct use of data presentation techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with oceanographic modelling techniques and software
- Proposes improvements of research methods and quality systems. Contributes to acquisition activities and takes on tasks that have been escalated by more junior team members
- Produce high quality operational and data reports to deadline.
- Peer review reports prior to manager’s review.
Quality Assurance (QA) and Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E)
- Adherence to Company QA and HSE procedures.
- Contribution to development of Company QA and HSE through both experience and technical developments.
- Contribution to development of Company HSE through both experience and technical developments.
- Actively participate in adherence to and improvement of the Company Management System on Quality and HSE related issues.
Minimum BSc in marine/oceanography sciences
Desirable to hold Graduate Qualification in Oceanography, Meteorology, Offshore Engineering or related discipline
At least 5 years’ experience in Oceanography or similar role;
Languages & Proficiency
Ability to read and write English language Independent
Arabic language is a plus
- Good scientific reporting writing skills.
- Coding knowledge
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work to strict deadlines;
- Willingness to take part in both coastal and offshore surveys;
- Specialist knowledge or experience in an area of metocean data;
- Conversant with computer operation and a good knowledge of application software;
Disclaimer for recruitment agencies:
Fugro does not accept any unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies. Acquisition to Fugro Recruitment or any Fugro employee is not appreciated.