Date: Dec 29, 2021
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (HI), US, 96813
We recognize our competitive advantage — our people. We believe in our people, who share our vision of meeting the needs of our employees, customers, and communities and who carry out the continued success of the company.
Our employees are committed to the company’s foundational values: integrity, excellence, teamwork, environmental stewardship, and community commitment. In turn, we invest in our employees, providing opportunities for challenge and advancement and offering a competitive compensation package.
Posting End Date: 01/29/2022 at 11:59PM HST
BRIEF POSTING DESCRIPTION:
The P RU GEOSPATIAL DEVELOPMENT & SERVICES Department of the P GEOSPATIAL AND ASSET DATA OPS Division at Hawaiian Electric Company has 1 Management vacancy available. (Role: Professional Supervisor)
Supervises functional administrators to provide direction in Geographic Information System (GIS – ESRI and peripheral applications) related activities, including responsibility for system administration, day- to-day operational support, configuration, software maintenance, modification, upgrade and testing support. Supports the identification of, planning for and prioritization of system lifecycle and software driven business process improvement activities with key business and IT stakeholders in support of Company (Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric, and Hawaii Electric Light) administrative and strategic goals and objectives. Establishes and helps manage strategic directions, objectives, budgets, priorities and projects for Geospatial information technology programs or related technologies, in collaboration with the Manager, Geospatial Operations, Development, & Services, Asset Data Governance group, and customer stakeholders. Manages the development and documentation of continuous improvement measurement data collection, translation, validation and estimation systems, processes and procedures. Assists with the identification, creation, and presentation of key performance indicators/performance benchmarking materials. Serves as subject matter expert and functional resource, mentoring, advising, and participating in project teams.
Directs, leads, and implements LEAN continuous improvement best practices to enhance and achieve operational excellence with a safety mindset.
- Plans and oversee the maintenance, enhancement, updates, upgrades, and configuration of the GIS ESRI solution and other systems. Oversee the development and implementation of enhancements, spatial analysis, geo-processing tools, and web app solutions following the company’s ITIL and COBIT methodologies to communicate complex concepts to internal and external customers. Responsible and oversees work order fixes and/or testing with respective Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric, and Hawaii Electric Light technical and functional software users. May include planning, setting milestones, follow-up, functional expertise, work direction and review.
- Oversee operations of the GIS help desk to support the End Users and Super Users with around the clock coverage. Provides professional and technical leadership as a subject matter expert, planning support, and technical advisor for key program projects. Resolutions include providing training, temporary work-around solutions, redesign of business process/procedures/policies, software defect corrections and enhancements to the GIS solution and other systems. Improve business processes, procedures and policies to maximize the capabilities of the GIS solution and standardize across Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric, and Hawaii Electric Light. Ensure proper controls are in place to provide data integrity and system security. Initiates continuous improvement using ESRI and technology processes and assists with developing short-term and long-term strategies.
- Supervise and leads a team of people by assigning work and its associated priority, monitoring and evaluating work, and overseeing the performance, training, and development needs of the group. Acts as primary mentor to functional support staff to relate big picture program awareness and facilitate knowledge transfer.
- Manage and collaborate with other internal and external staff, contractors, vendors, and/or customer personnel to carry out the functions of the position. Manages third party functional consultants retained to provide support in maintaining and enhancing the ESRI-GIS solution and other associated systems.
- Develop and administer forecasts and reports and ensure that accounting procedures and systems are aligned with overall process area and corporate goals. Define strategic roadmap for scheduling and implementation of ESRI service packs, enhancement packs, and upgrades. Plan and budget the ESRI GIS and other systems initiatives for all of the new configuration, forms, reports, interfaces, and enhancements including service packs, enhancement packs and upgrades. Comply and align with the ITS governance structure and methodology. Develop, maintain, monitor, and present team and system performance metrics and cost/benefit reviews.
- Proactively collaborate and network with other utilities and attend seminars or workshops that promote and/or provide “best practices” solutions.
- Support internal and external audit initiatives as required.
- Leads and fosters a competitive and service-oriented work culture to fulfill a centralized organization while exerting high customer value with a safety mindset. Supervises the development and documentation of LEAN continuous improvement measurement data collection, translation, validation and estimation systems, processes and procedures.
- Remain available for both scheduled and unscheduled work. Said work is occasionally required outside normal business hours and on weekends. Participates in Company emergency response activities as assigned. Other duties as assigned.
- Participates in Company emergency response activities as assigned, including any activities required to prepare for such emergency response.
- Working knowledge of the major elements of the electric utility business, especially in a regulated environment.
- Working knowledge of ESRI Geographic Information System.
- Thorough knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Working knowledge of organization change management concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of business process improvement and process engineering concepts.
- Working knowledge of the role of information systems in the enterprise is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of personal computers and related software, prepare reports, create reporting systems, communicate via the internet, and evaluate and implement new software or software enhancements.
- Working knowledge of the business environments of Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric, and Hawaii Electric Light.
- Working knowledge of the customer service business process, procedures and policies for Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric, and Hawaii Electric Light.
- Extensive knowledge of data processing and security concepts and techniques normally acquired through college level courses or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of LEAN continuous improvement principles and best practices to achieve operational excellence.
- Thorough knowledge of SafeStart principles and best practices to achieve a safe workplace environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage challenging projects successfully.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships at all levels of the organization. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to influence and persuade various groups or individuals including product vendors, consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of professionals through challenging times to successful outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to build great teams, and to mentor the professional development of individual team members.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both verbal and written, normally gained through experience, training, and the exercise of “innate” abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with regulators, contractors, consultants, suppliers, government agencies, labor unions, and other business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to make good decisions quickly and with limited information, to monitor results, and to refine or revise decisions based on observed outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult and sensitive interpersonal issues effectively, yet compassionately, using tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to assess issues, to recommend and implement appropriate actions.
- Demonstrated supervisory/leadership skills and abilities to work with a variety of individuals occasionally dealing with sensitive, confidential, difficult or confrontational issues.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in the management or oversight of large enterprise change initiatives, preferably involving the use of information technology or in the regulated electric utility business.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in the customer service and other operational areas in the regulated electric utility business.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, engineering, or a related field or equivalent; Advanced training in business administration is desirable. Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent certification is desirable.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in managing/directing/supervising teams.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in contract development, management for consulting services and products.
- Three (3) or more years of experience with the ESRI GIS.
Role: Professional Supervisor
Number of Vacancies: 1
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
Work Hours: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
Lunch: 30 Minutes
Location: HECO Ward Avenue – Oahu
About Hawaiian Electric Companies
Hawaiian Electric Companies provide electricity and services to 95 percent of the state’s 1.4 million residents. The company is also one of the state’s leading employers and a major contributor and supporter of community and educational programs.
The demand for power that has fueled the growth of the Hawaiian Islands has been met by Hawaiian Electric Companies for well over a century. And as the next millennium unfolds, the company is committed to providing quality service and seeking clean local energy sources to power generations of Hawaii families and businesses to come. Visit us at http://hawaiianelectric.com.
Interested individuals should apply online. The application must clearly indicate the demonstrated experience/knowledge/skills/abilities the candidate possesses which specifically qualifies him/her for the position.
Should there be no candidates with this experience, the company may consider applicants without such experience who meet the knowledge/skill requirements. If such a candidate is hired, he or she will initially be placed on a development plan commensurate with his/her education and experience level.
By submitting an application for the position, candidates:
1. Authorize the Hawaiian Electric Companies to confirm all statements contained in the application and/or any materials submitted and made a part of the application as they relate to the position and to the extent permitted by law;
2. Authorize and consent to, without reservation, the Hawaiian Electric Companies sharing any and all information regarding previous or present employment, educational training or personal information from their records and from any other source with the hiring department or subsidiary company;
3. Release, discharge, and hold harmless, Hawaiian Electric Companies, from any and all liability for any damage which may be claimed as a result of furnishing such information to the hiring department or subsidiary company;
4. Authorizes release and transfer of all personnel records to be maintained by the hiring company in the event of an inter-company transfer; and
5. Authorize, direct, and consent to Hawaiian Electric Companies and/or its authorized agents to conduct investigations into candidates’ background. These investigations may include, but are not limited to searches for information about applicants; record of criminal convictions to the extent permitted by law, education records, professional certifications, personal character references, and employment history.
Hawaiian Electric Companies is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. We actively seek diversity among our employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity/expression), ancestry/national origin, disability, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws. We further encourage individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply.
Hawaiian Electric Companies complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any request for reasonable accommodation needed during the application process should be communicated by the candidate to the HR Service Center at (808) 543-4848.
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc., Maui Electric Company, and Hawaii Electric Light (“Company”) are Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (“PUC”) regulated companies. The disclosure relating to Affiliate Transaction Requirements that follows is made pursuant to the PUC’s Decision and Order No. 35962, issued on December 19, 2018, and subsequently modified by Order No. 36112, issued on January 24, 2019 in Docket No. 2018-0065.
By submitting your application, you understand and acknowledge that, if you are hired by the Company and subsequently transferred, assigned or otherwise employed by an Affiliate, said Affiliate will be required to make a one-time payment to the Company in an amount up to twenty-five percent (25%) of your base annual compensation.
In addition, if you are hired by the Company and subsequently transferred, assigned or otherwise employed by an Affiliate or an Affiliate-Related Entity, for a period of one year, you cannot appear in negotiations or otherwise interact directly with the Company or work on the same matter that you worked on while with the Company.
Affiliate is defined as “any person or entity that possesses an ‘affiliate interest’ in a utility as defined by section 269-19.5, Hawaii Revised Statutes (“HRS”), including a utility’s parent holding company, except as otherwise provided by HRS section 269-19.5(h).”
Affiliate-Related Entity is defined as “a third party that provides electricity-related services in a regulated utility’s service territory that has a material financial, operational, or ownership interest with an unregulated affiliate of the utility and of whom the utility has reasonable knowledge.”
For a current list of all Affiliates and Affiliate-Related Entities, please see:
This list may be amended, updated or revised from time to time without notice.
For more Job Visit: www.visitgis.com/jobs